Tuesday 11 August 2015

Falklands War hero Simon Weston in My Life, My Story

Written By: Mark Armstrong

Provided By: Pyramid & Parr Hall

Simon Weston: My Life, My Story is a truly inspirational show about one man’s journey from the front line of war, being on the edge of death, to today’s life as a happy and contented father, grandfather and national treasure.

For the first time, Simon will be telling his story live on stage. David Fitzgerald, former Sky news anchor and close friend, guides him in an interview format through his remarkable life story. The evening will feature questions that only a friend as close as David could ask, and answers only Simon could give. Simon will share shocking truths about the conflict, the day the Sir Galahad was attacked and the impact of the war on his life ever since.

Serving soldier Simon Weston’s life changed forever when the RFA Sir Galahad was bombed by two Argentine planes on June 9 1982 during the Falklands War. Simon was aboard the ship at the time.

Against the odds Simon escaped the burning ship but only after suffering 46% burns to his body. He was awarded the OBE in 1992 and Simon is one of the most recognised faces from the Falklands War.

Simon Western spoke about one of the low points he encountered on his journey, “My first encounter with a really low point was when they wheeled me into the transit hospital at RAF Lyneham and I passed my mother in the corridor and she said to my gran: ‘Oh mam, look at that poor boy’ and I cried out: ‘Mam, it’s me.  As she recognised my voice her face turned to stone.”

On April 2 1982, Argentina invaded the Falkland Islands, a British Overseas Territory, in the south Atlantic. Argentina claimed they had superior territorial rights as they had inherited the island from Spain in the 1800s. It was the conflict of a generation and one that many will never forget.

The islands, controlled by Great Britain for nearly 150 years, became a battle ground with the UK government, under Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, quick to defend the islands and their inhabitants. The war that followed saw the deaths of 655 Argentine soldiers and 255 British servicemen. Amongst those who were sent to the conflict was Simon Weston OBE. Simon from Caerphilly, south Wales, had seen service with the Welsh Guards in Berlin, Northern Ireland and Kenya.

Simon Weston: My Life, My Story is at Pyramid, Warrington on Sunday September 6. For more information, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment